Thursday, October 17, 2013

Academic Plans

For me, I think that this year is the year I finally decide on if I would like to go to veterinary school or not. The more I think about it, and the more I am educated on other options, the less I want to pursue it. I think that when I was younger and knew that I wanted to work with animals, that I kind of interpreted this as being a veterinarian because I didn't know about any other careers in the animal science field. Actually, the animal science 'field' was nonexistent to me, I basically never gave thought to the fact that not everyone working with animals directly is a veterinarian. So here I am now, contemplating my options. I believe to have three. One- go to graduate school. Two- pursue a Master's degree. Three- find a job with my Bachelor's degree. Ideally, like I have mentioned before in this blog, I would love to have a job right out of college. But, I am also not sure how plausible this is. Perhaps I can speak to someone at the Career Center for clarification. If I decide to go on with my schooling, I am afraid that I will have to choose to take organic chemistry and biochemistry. Although these are not required for a Bachelor's in Animal Science, during ANSC 298 today Dr. Hurley told us that we should consider taking those because they will help with a lot of research based things. I had felt such a relief when I X'ed out vet school and therefore did not have to take those classes, but now that I might have to take them, I am so unsure. Ah! I want to prepare myself for my future, but I also do not want to work myself to the bone.

No comments:

Post a Comment