Monday, October 7, 2013

The Older, the Wiser

I hate saying this because I am, after all, just a sophomore. But, the freshman in animal science are so naive. I know I was basically like this last year, but I just find it so hard to believe how differently I view things after just a short year of schooling. I had a conversation with three freshman in the animal science program and they all wanted to be veterinarians. I asked if they had anything else in mind and they said no because there weren't any jobs for people who didn't want to be a vet. What?? They were also all vegetarians or vegans, except one. I asked why and they said because of animal welfare reasons and the way they are kept in housing was terrible. Again, what?? I'm absolutely in awe of how much one year of schooling can really change you. Instantly I wanted to refute their argument, but instead I just told them to wait until their second semester classes sink in. It is crazy to think that last year I was dead set on vet school and even may have had some of their same opinions about animal welfare, and this year I am throwing vet school out of the equation, focusing on animal agriculture, and want to preach to first year students.

No comments:

Post a Comment